Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ALTEC 820

  1. #1
    Inactive Member crow9's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Dear all.
    My main listening source is old jazz vocal record, and I recently purchased Altec 820A loudspeaker, family use version of 'VOICE OF THE THEATER'.
    I was very impressed when I heard at audio shop, so I got it in spite of having no amps.
    Does anyone who have information about this speaker?
    How do you think what kind of amps can drive this?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member blakehoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2003
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd get a low power, high quality, single-ended tube amp. Altec was intended originally to work with low powered SE amps. They are super efficient, and sound best ...used as they were originally intended.
    The ones I use are here:

    http://www.transcendentsound.com/single%20ended.htm

    If you like them, you can grow the system, using them as stereo, then mono-block (for bi-amping)and adding more channels, as required.

    These are great (clean, pure) amps to use with altec speakers because altec's are so effecient they reveal all the flaws in the system.

    Good purchase...Good luck with your system

  3. #3
    Inactive Member blakehoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2003
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry, HK:

    Here is the link in Japanese:

    http://www.transcendentsound.com/Japanesehome.htm

    Blakehoo

  4. #4
    Inactive Member crow9's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you blakehoo.
    I tested several amps including Mcintosh MC240, EICO, and Quad II tube amp. So I'll try your recommended one, too.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member blakehoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2003
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're welcome. You've got some of the best speakers, already, ...so play around with different amps until you find the ones you like.

    That's what I did

  6. #6
    Inactive Member crow9's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    That's exactly I'm doing, too.
    I'm going to try ALTEC 1570B power amps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.